View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 17:53
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackonicko

Trim Stab,

Quote:
"LOL - do you really think you know more about defence than him?"
No. Just a damned sight more than you. Though that's really not difficult.

I am a serving military reservist, will soon deploy to Afghanistan, and deployed to Iraq. You are correct that I therefore don't know very much at all about defence except from my narrow perspective as a junior infanteer - but one thing is for sure I would never be so presumptuous as to imagine that I know more about defence than a former CGS who holds an MC and qualified as a military pilot.

Aren't you just a journalist? Why don't you sign up with the reserve forces and learn something real?

The current Northern Q arrangement shows that while it's possible to sustain one QRA with one (expanded) squadron, but equally shows that you can't do ANYTHING else with that Squadron. Not supporting the Falklands, not undertaking multi-role training, not being available for deployed ops, and not even able to maintain proper currency in all aspects of the primary role, as the recent accident showed!

That's why you need two squadrons for Northern Q, two for Southern, and one to be able to have the 'slack' for the Falklands etc. Whaddya know? Five squadrons needed for UK (and FI) AD.
You have no idea what priorities are do you? We have huge, massive cuts coming. Defending against air attack from a highly unlikely foe is a luxury, not a necessity. There are far higher priorities, as StopStart explained. Please can you give a CREDIBLE argument to justify our current air defence structure and spending? Given your condescending attitude, and lack of personal experience, I presume you have sources high up in the RAF - so let's hear their arguments from you.