PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 16:43
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I wondered how long before the old Bomber Command Medal argument would be revived. As Chugalug has pointed out, this has been discussed ad nauseam, usually by people talking from a depth of ignorance on the subject

Just so as we all know - Bomber Command were not uniquely denied a medal - no campaign medals were issued to formations after WW2 - all were theatre awards. Indeed the Aircrew Europe Star awarded to all Bomber Command Aircrew up to D Day is in itself almost exclusively a Bomber Command award, so Bomber Command aircrew did rather better than most in this respect.

I have also seen Harris's argument that the rigours undergone by groundcrew during long hours on Bomber Command airfields entitled them to something more than the Defence Medal. Try telling a fireman who served through the London Blitz that his services were less deserving than an airman on an airfield somewhere in East Anglia - and yet he had to be satisfied with just the Defence Medal.

I am 100% in support of the Bomber Command Memorial and look forward to seeing it completed - but let's let this business of the medal go at last.