PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 16:37
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the risk of teaching the professional pilots among you who are posting on this forum and for the interest of those of you who are not professional pilots, I would like to make a very fundamental point.

NPAs (Non Precision Approaches) such as NDB and VOR approaches are NOT landing aids. They are airfield approach aids. In other words, they allow a crew to find an airfield NOT a runway. After that, a visual approach has to be made to the landing runway (which might mean a circling approach).

Now, in the case where the inbound course is roughly in line with the runway
in use, we all try to emulate a 3 degree glide path so that a landing MIGHT be made from the approach if everything works out just fine.

Flying an NPA is part of the LPC (Licence Proficiency Test) which every pilot has to pass at least once per year. It was always important to remember as an examiner (which I was for many years) that the item being assessed was the NPA and not the subsequent landing attempt.

In other words, a perfectly flown VOR approach might result in a cloud break in a position whereby a split-arsed turn and an unstabilised rate of descent might be necessary for a straight in landing to be made.

Anyone who flew an accurate NPA but then assessed that making a landing from the approach would be just a bit challenging and consequently made a go-around at MDA got a good result (for it was the approach that was being assessed).

Those who decided to practice their low level aerobatics whilst ignoring the EGPWS shouting at them about their excessive descent rate and bank angle were, for sure, going to be invited to one of my famous debriefs followed by a re-sit!