PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 16:17
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
OK, round all the buoys again, I guess. Although Bomber Command played an important though oft ignored part in the Battle of Britain, this thread is about the former and not the latter. Given that the BofB is commemorated by the Fighter Command Memorials on the Embankment and at Capel-le-Fern, I would suggest they are an elegant sufficiency. In contrast Bomber Command has a stone embedded inside Lincoln Cathedral! However, as to how long we should go on commemorating both formations and their sacrifice, I would suggest forever might be a good target to aim for. Certainly way beyond:
As long as the combatants are still alive?
London rightly has memorials to commemorate Trafalgar and Waterloo that ensured our freedom from tyranny some 200 years ago. If their significance is lost on those who pass them on a daily basis that is a comment on attitudes today rather than sacrifice then. One can only lead horses to water. These memorials are that water. If those who view them do not take in the implicit message they, or the subject memorial of this thread, contain then we should look to what if anything is being taught in our schools.