PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 14:14
WeeWinkyWilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach Visual Illusions for Runway first third upslope

Notice the pronounced upslope in the first third of the runway (image of 09 appch at post 303 above). The effect of this (first third only) limited runway field of view in poor visibility is an illusion that will cause the pilot to tend to undershoot - as he descends in his attempt to maintain a normal visual approach angle (an illusion added to by having no VASIS or PAPI to assist him with a visual glideslope on 09).
Couple this (low altitude) with any requirement to bank to achieve a late line-up and you have the potential to dig in a wing and cartwheel...... which is my best guess as to what happened..... and it's supported by the impact location in the image above. Occam's Razor cuts deep.

At times of sunset and sunrise the pilot's prevailing visibility (as against omni-directional meteorological visibility) can be very directional. For instance, somebody landing into the west at around sunset can easily lose it in the flare (i.e. this phenomenon can be very height sensitive as well).
Been there, done that. Cloud isn't a factor and most likely wasn't in this case in Tripoli. My guess is that he just lost it in the glare during a dragged in low approach - and dug in a wing-tip.
Looking at the terrain clearance floor in the FCOMs, the floor rises from 0 ft a short way from the runway to 400 ft at 5nm. If you flew a 3 degree slope to the ground at 1nm it looks unlikely that you would get any warning and if you did, it would be a very late one!