PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does being white and middleclass an advantage in Corporate aviation?
Old 14th May 2010, 13:39
parisjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncle Wiggily: I know the demographics in europe do reflect the reason why there are more white Pilots than blacks or asian. However there are quite a few black and asian pilots about, and quite a few are colleagues. All have tried the corporate route with no luck, some were type rated, some willing to pay their rating. My point is if you look at the employees in Corporate aviation, the majority if not all are white at every level.

My other point is hiring shouldn't be based on who you know to get the job, that's prejudiced in itself, it should be an even playing field where all applying regardless of race colour or creed should have the same opportunities. Colleagues of mine in the States weren't happy with the 'quotas ruling' whereby for example if an airline was hiring 10 Pilots, the intake had to reflect demographics of society, so 3 would be ethnic, 3 women, then 4 causian males. The caucasian males were always complaining that it was an exercise to meet quotas and disregard of quality. This really used to annoy me as that was not the case. It was done to balance things out, but with quality candidates.This is now what is happening with South African Airlines, where it was majority white crews, and now concentration in on hiring black crews and upgrades for black crews over whites. There's uproar out there and this is what causes problems for all budding Pilots, due to unfair practices. If for example watchdog or some sort of employment body did documentary on it, you'll find I'm right.

Lastly, if I launched a Bizjet company and only hired black and asian pilots I believe you'd make a huge stink about it, especially if not one of 10 black pilots was white.