PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Annual Results, EK Bonus, Emirates Profits etc
Old 14th May 2010, 13:30
Fuzz Lightbeer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM, always interesting to have your "unique perspective" aired in this forum. I'll address some of your points though in the past you have proven yourself quite selective in responding to individual points raised here.

And once more the EK pilot fraternity are (sic) not satisfied.
How many airlines have turned a profit this year? How many have given any form of bonus or profit share? How many pilots have been layed (sp) off in one form or another?

3 weeks equates to an extra 5.75% salary on top of a 6% increase. Not bad considering the state of aviation over the past year. I doubt many airline pilots can claim a (sic) increase of over 10%
Point taken. This was a horrible year for airlines and I will agree that the general trend in the industry was down for employee compensation. What many of us object to is to be told that Emirates avoided layoffs and paycuts. This is simply not true. In the latest Fleet Facts, AS admitted that the entire profit was driven by cost cuts. The burden borne by your crew, cockpit and cabin was in my opinion disproportionate. The cockpit crew took a significant hit in terms and conditions, some of which was a direct violation of our contracts. The pay increase and bonus do not make up for this but what is even more infuriating is the way this has been portrayed by those of you in the ivory tower. Not once were we told, it's going to be a hard year - we all have to tighten our belts. We were instead told that the airline was "reducing its carbon footprint", "given the level of ULR flying, current thresholds for productivity payments are unrealistic (I'm paraphrasing)" and my favorite, "even though your contract says 42 days, it really only means 30." The way this was "managed" is an abject lesson in LACK OF LEADERSHIP. Recent communications from our "leadership" indicates that while this is an expat job with supposedly "expat benefits", the company resents providing those benefits. We are continually told about our obligations to our employer, usually through veiled threats like that below, yet the company fails to fulfill its obligations to us, through our contracts or just through lack of duty of care. I refer to continued brushing off of legitimate fatigue issues - the latest being that if it's legal, it's safe. I have never worked anywhere that when legitimate safety issues are brought up to our "leaders" in a calm and unemotional manner that those issues are met with bluster, denial and threats. If you really wonder why Emirates pilots are so pissed off, I suggest that you consider that rather than resort to your tired rationale of some mass personality disorder.
As pointed out: Don't bite the hand that feeds. Undoubtably (sp) it will have undesired repercusions.(sp)
And that pretty much sums up the Emirates management model, "shut up and do what your told - or else." Certainly the market is in your favour right now though given the state of the market, it is interesting that Emirates is having difficulty recruiting flightdeck. A more long-term view would suggest that to disenfranchise the single largest workforce that has disproportionate responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of the airline is just bad business.

To sum up, the company overdid it. It reduced its costs enormously on the backs of its line employees and did not even have the grace to acknowledge it. The damage that has been done to morale is difficult to quantify - and I'm talking company wide, everyone that I talk to (not just pilots and flight attendants) is completely demoralized - and the fallout will continue for years.

(I suggest you check over what you write before you send it as poor spelling and grammar do take away from the effectiveness of your arguments.)

Last edited by Fuzz Lightbeer; 14th May 2010 at 21:14.