PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helo Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2002, 05:03
SASless

Received 520 Likes on 217 Posts
Flight Safety,

Being Navy Pilots, the Plane Commander probably called for the checklist and the Co was trying to dig the Natops gouge out from under the box lunches. Also....the distance from from where your hands are resting to the overhead throttles can sometimes be farther than your arms can reach!

From your analysis of the tape....how long did it take for the aircraft to yaw 90 degrees from its approach heading? It sure doesn't look very long at all....which means there wasn't time for a Chinese Parliment to decide what to do. At that point...it would be an interesting proposition to lower the collective and make contact with the deck of a moving ship....control the aircraft and remain upright onboard the vessel.

My thought, while sitting here with a Dew in my hand, would be to maintain collective....chop throttles....hope the rotation at least slowed....get the old girl clear of the ship and over the water....and hope Mr. Sikorsky remembered how to make a boat fly or in this case the opposite....make an aircraft that would float. It is one thing to hit the water then roll over...but to hit the deck, roll over ,and then crash into the water as happened is not something I ever care to see again....much less do. It would be interesting to know if anyone survived that crash. If they did.....I want them to start buying my lotto tickets for me!