PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus CAO 82.6 NVG, OEI & enroute climb to LSALT
Old 14th May 2010, 12:37
Envoy604

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aus CAO 82.6 NVG, OEI & enroute climb to LSALT

This might be better in D&G zone, but can someone help with a question on en-route RW NVG OEI planning considerations for twin-engine en-route flight.

Under the IFR if I lose an engine I must plan for and demonstrate sufficient single engine performance to climb to safe altitude with a 1% climb gradient from that point. If above LSALT I can drift down to, but not descend below a safe altitude.

Under NVFR I must also be able to maintain LSALT in the event of an engine failure en-route. If below LSALT on departure I must be able to climb to LSALT.

CAO 82.6 permits me to fly en-route below LSALT with the use of NVG. During day VFR, if I lose an engine I won’t climb, I will find a safe recovery and land. With NVG I can see the ground etc and I won’t climb, but will find a safe recovery and land. However, do I need to plan for and have sufficient performance to climb above LSALT?

So, given that NVG operations are conducted under NVFR with exemptions to fly below LSALT, what considerations must I give to the OEI case. That is, should I plan to have the performance and be able to climb to en-route LSALT even though I can see the terrain. If so, what are the relevant CAO/CAR etc??

Thanks