PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 12:31
4PW's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is as good as any of the half assed speculation here: look at the direction of the road to the right of the mosque. They may have been lined up on that. Same alignment as the runway. Very little in it by way of lateral displacement at minimums off a non precision approach.

Who hasn't got to minimums off a NPA, landing into the sun, early morning, called visual with the runway but not the PAPI as you can't see it for the bright assed light shining in your eyes, only to find in a few more seconds you are visual with what looked like the runway!

It's not the runway you're looking at but a road...Sharjah's runway 12 was a case in point. VOR, now an ILS. Early morning fog. Same deal. Happens. Happened. May have happened here.

If the Captain realised and tried banking left for the actual runway instead of going around, straight ahead, full power...it could happen very quickly. Bit of speculation, true, and I wasn't there. Somehow it went all wrong, that's for sure.

The crash site looks, the road, the alignment...it looks conspicuous. This is not dragging their asses through the mud. They didn't wake up and think "oh gee, today's the day for me to plough in." I know that. But that they did. Lot of people died as a result.

Speculation. Mine is just speculation. But it fits. The probability of a power failure on one engine at that stage is infitesimally small. This isn't.

Anyway, RIP.