PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 11:24
silverline001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again and again

Although its not right to jump to conclusions and blame anyone,I think that most of the guys here agree that the system in Tripoli is pretty much f...d up.Most of the times,its good weather ,however when the weather is bad,like sandstorms and reduced visibility,pilots are put so easily ,in the so called chain of events,which normally leads to an accident.

Many of the times its the pilots to blame....of course after a long night flight,alertness at its lowest,then add to all this ...an unreliable airfield with unreliable approach nav aids and a sloppy ATC system...and I call it system.... because I don`t` know what equipment and hi tech the ATC is equipped with.Have you ever been in Tripoli with two or more aircarft approaching the airfield...guess what...all hell breaks loose,with ATC showing lack of trust in their equipment and eventually a couple of last minute go arounds and wierd holdings are not uncommon.

As someone already said,Tripoli is an accident awaiting to happen,and its not the first time.Even the ILS on 27 is not reliable,one day its working,the other day not,how can you trust such a system.Papis are hardly ever calibrated.Where is EASA and where is ICAO?Such a fuss was made on Lockerbie loss of lives...what about this one.....history repeating itself in Tripoli as i remember there was already a similair crash in crappy visibility in the past.

I `m pretty confident this accident could have been spared if one of the richest countries in the world ,could have invested in a good ILS system on both runways and likewise a good reliable ATC system,which is maintained...good.

And by the way,its a pity the runway is in such a disgrace.All this says alot about who is managing the Libyan Airport.Apparently safety is at the end of the priorities.

Enough said
Silverline