PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi Vis Jackets that is the question !!!
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 10:03
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't rate hi vis jackets at all, at least not in an airport environment.
Personal Protective Equipment is ALWAYS at the bottom of the hierarchy of controlling risks. Elimination, reduction, isolation etc. are always the priority and PPE is a last resort or supplements other controls.

I agree to some extent that hi viz clothing ALONE may not prevent impact with vehicles or pedestrian operated handling equipment, but safe operational procedures/working practices including marshalling for instance, training of staff and monitoring of workplaces/areas will certailnly reduce the likelihood, and hi-viz clothing is just one of the measures - not the sole method of accident avoidance.
The point I'm trying to make is not "high vis clothing is not a panacea" but rather that in an airport environment it can actually serve as camoflage.

I've seen it render people almost invisible, especially during a 'quick glance'.

I don't see why people make such a fuss about high-vis jackets. What is wrong with putting it on for 5 minutes, so you can do your walk around on the apron? Where is the problem in that? Do you think it "cramps" your style? You are paid to fly and do so safely. If 'looking good' is your priority then god help us.
The problem is, Sir Herbert, that I don't want to get squashed like a bug because I'm wearing a bright coloured vest that (a) does not contrast with the white, yellow floodlit paint scheme of the aircraft I'm walking around and (b) breaks up the 'human shaped' outline that is the primary visual cue my killer might have been able to use to spot me.

pb