PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 09:29
Arik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merci Olivier
Nationality is not a factor.
So far, all the reports are confirming that this Captain and crew was really experienced and totally qualified to fly this aircraft which was brand new. They have been intensively trained here in Toulouse not so long ago. Maybe this place is quite dangerous in regards to Western standards but they were used to it, it was their home, and certainly landed several hundreds times here without any problem.

How many excellent Westerners crew were killed in many stupid accidents before our actual safety level could be reached? It still happens nowaday.
Exactly my point, I'm all too well aware of the accident rate in Africa and the way aviation is managed across the continent, but 'generally' the accidents are with older aircraft & occasionally kamikaze crew. But I'm digressing from the topic; it brings me back to my question, the area of wreckage appears 'compact' Why would this be? Why are the obvious pieces of wreckage (tail fin particularly) in the position they are in?

Two other questions; can anyone now confirm that Alitalia (? I think) went around prior to this approach and did the Afriqiyah captain request ambulances to meet them? Two 'rumours' I've seen but not heard if they are just rumours or real facts??

Thanks