PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 23:11
Arik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As SLF but also involved in aviation and Libya I am stunned by some of the posts on here that 'bash' Libya, African aviation and the general racism.

Afriqiyah has some of the newest fleets worldwide. Everything in Libya is being upgraded, including the new airport which unfortunately might be a contributing factor to this accident.

Reading through the lines & knowing the bits that I know, there will be more to this but one thing that hasn't been pointed out is that the crew were Libyan, they knew the NOTAM, they were on their way home. They were not a kamikaze crew that a few on this thread have made out they are!

What I am at a loss to understand is the debris. It's fairly spread over a compact area but in small pieces, no real sign of burnt debris. They were obviously near to the ground at impact ie. they didn't fall from an altitude but no real fuselage remains bar the tail assembly. So can an aircraft such as the A330 disintegrate like this in these circumstances???

It would be good to focus on the real events, rather than bashing African aviation or Libyans (who are wonderful people!)