PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 20:53
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diversification;
Has it any merit?
Possibly, in the sense that there is no evidence to rule such a notion out. I suspect however, that the loss of almost the entire supporting structure below the horizontal stab motors and associated jacks and what was likely the tumbling of this section, (as evidenced by the rudder damage - the missing top section can be seen in another photograph and the flattened face of the forward-facing fuselage section) that probably left the horizontal stabs in this position - in other words, there is nothing to resist the final resting position, while the vertical stabilizer has fallen away, backwards from the stabilizer, on what remains of the tail structure.

In another photograph, one of the main gear wing-attachment trunions is visible, with the oleo broken off at the very top of the structure, (ie, it's entirely missing.) In the background of this same photo one can see one main-gear tire.

In another photograph of this same area this tire can be seen close-up, damaged with several deep cuts; I suspect the other tire on the left of the photo is one of two nosewheel tires. In yet another photograph, another tire can be seen, similarly deflated, though it is not possible to see damage due to the on-edge perspective of the photograph. There is a section of the wing with what may be a spar, (front or rear) but it looks a bit too small to be an inboard section of the wing where the gear is fastened. Difficult to tell with one photo.

It is difficult to tell too, what the flat section is in the photograph with the partially-seen Mercedes in it; I would say it was outboard wing but the quality, (low pixel count) is too poor to be sure.

Though almost everything remains to be known yet, it is yet to be confirmed:

- that the approach initially used was the ILS to 27, (left hand base leg flown from the south);
- that there was a go-around off 27, from which, a) the accident occurred during a go-around, or a tear-drop turn for an approach to 09, off which the accident occurred;
- that, alternatively, the approach initially used was onto 09 with a right-hand base leg from the south;
- that the attitude of the aircraft was (or was not) unusual at any time during the approach;
- what the actual weather/visibility was at the time of the accident. The winds were 2 - 4 knots with the temp/dew point within 2C.

Has anyone placed the crash site on Google yet? I've seen estimates but no placements and no confirmation of the location of the mosque seen in photographs of the tail section.

Machaca, I don't know how you do it, but thank you for the additional photographs you've posted.

PJ2