PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian special forces in dawn raid on oil tanker pirates
Old 13th May 2010, 19:28
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever read the book ( forget the film ) ' Black Hawk Down ' ?

These people make the spine shudder, drug crazed zombies willing to send women holding children into battle, with PLENTY of RPG's & ammo.

When I suggested on this forum that the poor sods holed up all night under repeated attack would have done well with a few Harrier rocket passes to give the Americans a chance, ( they were supported by pretty constant fire through the night from light armed helicopters at great risk to themselves ) - I was attacked as suggesting a war crime !

So, I presume it's either 'nuke the bastards or they'll move along the shore a bit', as lately in The Times, or ' let them come to you ' as the Russians did with great results.

It should be pointed out that as far as I ( a yachtie & ex-Harrier tech ) know, Her Majestys' Ship Commanders should know they sometimes have to put themselves, their ships & crew & their cocktail party careers on the line in order to Do The Right Thing.

I doubt Kerrans on the Amethyst had his career much on his mind, and neither did Nelson, they just did the appropriate thing.

I'm damn sure the R.N. will be keen to absolve themselves of the disgrace of young chavs being captured by gits, so it's up to them to prove they're not just for cocktail parties...

The Q ship idea in one form or another stands out a mile, but maybe that would be considered naughty as in not being the nice fluffy target presented ?

Also don't underestimate one's enemy, they're drug crazed but not stupid; they use sat' phones to communicate, and have intel' on ship movements.

One would have hoped the various military could go a step better...

Last edited by Double Zero; 13th May 2010 at 19:38.