PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eventually !!Probe Blames Captain for GF Jet Crash
Old 21st Jul 2002, 23:28
Lodestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, you have got a point......BUT

I have been flying the A320 for three years now within an airline environment . So I have done quit a few Go Arounds in this airplane and I have to say that very little of those where executed using the AP......

Why? My guess is that pilots still feel more at ease taking controlls themselves. In those situations it is easier to do so because the use of the automatics in those situations can be really confusing. Besides that a G/A does not always require the TOGA thrust/follow procedure things programmed in the FMA. A lot of times the controllers give you an ammended procedure with an altered height to level off which makes the automatics way more difficult to use.

A third tought is that Airbus itself is still advising pilots that if they should get lost in the automatics they should disconnect everything and fly raw data!

So your comment about using automatics is very correct indeed but only in an ideal standardisized world....which does not exist.

It is my firm belief that everybody who flies an airlinere should be able to perform every manoever/procedure that exists 100%perfectly flying raw data as well as using automatics!!!!
Any pilot who is not able doing so, being that because a of lack of training or lack of skills, should not be allowed to fly these airplanes!!!!