PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 14:59
endplay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagles post 2234

I was curious so I searched.

The PM-in-waiting, David Cameron, has just written to me in response to my direct question asking him what he will do when he takes office after the inevitable demise of Noo Labour. He writes:

"Thank you for your further e-mail about the Chinook accident. I can understand and appreciate your concerns with regards to the verdict.

This is a longstanding issue and has been the subject of an Opposition Day debate.

I also signed EDM 651 on this issue (he included the text of the EDM at this point)

The House of Lords Select Committee report unanimously concluded that the reviewing officers were not justified in finding that negligence on the part of the pilots caused the aircraft to crash.

I believe now that the only honourable course for the Government is to reinstate the reputations of the two brave young pilots who lost their lives. As I see it, the Lords Select Committee confirms that there was a miscarriage of justice.

Thank you again for writing to me about this.

(DC)

I shall now e-mail DC to thank him for his reply - and to ask whether he will make it an urgent priority of his government to take the "only honourable course" of which he writes.

(me again) That seems to be a fairly unequivocal statement, assuming that is, that the word "honourable" hasn't been redefined in our new political world. Perhaps we should have courted Nick Clegg over this issue as I'm sure he could have slipped this in as a condition of the coalition. We live in hope that right will prevail.