PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 12:00
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2 wrote :
I don't get the feeling that this outcome had anything to do with the airport, the navaids, ATC or the country the accident occurred in.
I share the same feeling.
There are a few aspects of that accident that have been missed : some posters have, correctly, pointed at the sunrise-lit mist which would reduce the actual visibility to a much lower value than stated in the METARS... Fine, but there is a lurking potential killer in that statement : until one gets into the mist - i.e at a low height - against the sunrise, the visibility would be, at altitude quite a lot higher than broadcast, tricking the crew either into a visual approach and/or a false sense of safety (We see the runway / the airport from 50 miles...). The sudden transition from unlimited vis to what amounts to a white-out could be astonishingly disturbing (own experience at Dhaka, Bangladesh in the same conditions).
Another aspect of that accident is the number of roads, close to the airport with an easterly direction and which could be mistaken, again in a limited visibility situation with a runway.
My last comment would be about the type of procedure they were following : Someone had posted that the Lybian DGCA hadn't given their authorisation to the "managed NPA". Fair enough. That means that they flew either a "selected" approach or a "normal"/ raw data locator let-down (this time, possibly on manual)...or they were on a visual final (also on manual)...