PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to Ukraine
Thread: VFR to Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 10:15
Kerosene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
byteworks wrote:
There is a set of Jeppesen VFR maps for Romania, being the first release has some mistakes, only a few useful landmarks, must be backed up with a good paper map or better a GPS one, there is a good Garmin topo map.

Shop for map here, or I can assist with purchase and shipping.

Digital Atlas of Romania for Garmin GPS

Indeed there is the need of prior plan and permit - this is true for Romanian airplanes too, due to old military rules still in place, much discussion here on these but not much relief yet. Even Russia announced to ease things ...

Other than that, VFR is easy, plenty of space and only a few planes, enough diverse landscape for easy orientation. Airport taxes can be horrendous, as AIP still notes "minimum of EUR 50" etc.
Thank so much for your help, this is great. I can get the Charts from JeppDirect, and will look for a topgraphical paper map.

I'm considering a stop in Cluj, then maybe Tulcea or Constanta before going to Odessa. Have you been to these airfields?

Hopefully the airspace regulations will ease up for you soon, it should be expected, we're all in the EU after all. And, like you said, even Russia has passed a law to enable less restricted VFR flying, however I'm pessimistic that it will be applied soon.

Cheers, Kero