PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR to Ukraine
Thread: VFR to Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 08:06
Kerosene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi:

1. I assume your wife speaks Russian/Ukrainian - helps a lot
2. Try to call Odessa airport and agree fees etc, ask them how to get VFR overfly permit from Ukrainian CA - if you speak Russian I think they will be very helpful. My friends did not use intermediary for cost reasons - they told would be a good idea to have someone at the airport who will help you for small monies
3. Romania - for VFR you also need CA approval - I flew to Cluj Napoca and it was easy to get via e-mail in English: (you will get a permit number you need to put in 18 in flight plan)
4. Maps - i think they still do not have VFR maps for both Romania and Ukraine, you normally use IFR routes and reporting points for VFR flight (I use Jeppesen charts), I would advise to get an approach charts for Odessa and Romanian apt - just in case (probably not a must) - at the approach controller may give you instructions to proceed to IFR points so it helps to know where they are

anyway - good luck and please write me how it was after your return,

Greg

ps. there is no AVgass in Bari, there usually is in Foggia, in case of questions e-mail me at
Hi Greg,

1. Yes and she'll come along
2. She knows someone at the airport so I hope this will help.
3. Although EU still quite restrictive but manageable I understand
4. Just learned there are Jepp VFR Chart for Romania out (through this thread); it nearly covers all the last leg to Odessa (just that tiny bit missing); and yes, I'll print out all approach plates (aircraft is just VFR equipped but has GPSMAP196/495 so could follow them in VMC

I promise to share my experiences later on with everyone on this thread.

Thanks also for the hint with Foggia, very much appreciated, might come back to you later with more questions!

Cheers,

Kero

PS: Polish entry requirements states first landing at international airport required - also true for Schengen arrivals? Do you know?