PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2010, 05:38
Cleared Visual

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a mere SLF with a keen interest in the aviation industry, I often lurk but rarely post on this forum, preferring to hear what professionals have to say about such incidents as what has tragically occured in Tripoli.

I am somewhat puzzelled at why the moderator's on this occasion have not yet removed posts by a user calling themself 'sharksandwich' that are sweeping, unsubstantiated general statements that in no way contribute to the discussion here. A quick search of the ASN database reveals that one model of the boeing 737, the -200, has been involved in some 95 accidents resulting in hull loss and 2446 fatalities since introduction into service in 1967 (i stand to be corrected on the year).

The A330, introduced in the mid 1990s has been involved in 4 hull loss accidents resulting in 339 fatalities. approx 600 A330s have been built and just over 1100 732s. The A330 has a passenger capacity 2.5-3 times larger than the 732. Based on these numbers I fail to see how the A330 is a particularly dangerous aircraft that should be withdrawn from service.

I suggest sharksandwich you research the history of the DC-10 if you would like to see a disproportionately high number of accidents/incidents. And even the DC-10 is still safely operated today. Even the trusty old 727 found heavy criticism in early service following some high profile accidents attributed to high sink rates due to the design of the aircraft, and it too continues in service today without a redesign...

Apologies for the thread drift to the real professionals out there. I respect your opinions because you back them up with real world knowledge and experience.