PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overlooking the obvious - Military flying can be dangerous!
Old 13th May 2010, 04:54
tucumseh

Received 175 Likes on 66 Posts
Chug

Sea King x2, Tornado x2, Chinook (Mull), Nimrod (Afghanistan) and Hercules (Iraq) were all lost in avoidable accidents I would contend. OK that's a provocative statement I admit and merely my opinion.
I wouldn't call it provocative, not when causal factors in all those you list were predictable, predicted and ignored. Early mitigation would not have been difficult - it was merely a case of implementing the regulations before the aircraft were even released to the Service. As you say, get the basics right, avoid the avoidable and manage the unavoidable, thus giving users a fighting chance if **** happens.

Two's In - Preface your post with the above and I agree entirely, especially;

bean counters and the commercialization of the Military have been directly attributable to the deaths of personnel

Of course, past Ministers disagree with you, but that automatically makes you right!

Romeo

All Aircrew accept that Flight Safety is paramount
Indeed they do (I hope!), but the problem is that those who have a Duty of Care over them have consistently refused to accept this, witnessed by the above list and the evidence in numerous reports, including H-C.