PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 13th May 2010, 00:58
skylight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some thoughts.

Its important to realise that there is a growing percentage of crew that are completly disillusioned with the unions antics to the point where many are indeed resighning.from the union.some crew who have striked are at a loss with the union, feeling mislead and emotionally exploited.As their staff travel has dissappeared... they will, in many cases continue to strike....on the other hand many will stop due to the financial burden its placed on them
.I do not choose to criticise them when I speak with them, as they are my work collegues and team cohesion is key to a successful flight more importantly the.majority of them are wonderful people to work with who have good hearts a great sense of humour and who have a caring attitude .I just feel that they have been naive in their loyalty to a union that has no clarity in its campaighn.I remind them to be true to their own personal code of ethics but to please not just rely on information on the unions newsletters,text etc...but look at all sides and perspectives.I do not agree with them certainly... I feel sorry for them.

I am.deeply dissapointed that the inpact of their actions is potentially having on the whole BA workforce.job security for themselves,families etc will be uppermost in their minds now as a genuine concern.

There is not a single department in BA that has sympathyfor us cabin crew.Normally some other departments that are unionised by unite vacalise surpport not this time as they appreciate the reckless ness of this dispute.
.Indeed the unions insistance on continuing with its industrial action stratergy despite the volcanic erution that has compromised BAs financial position and may well continue to do so for some time..is complete madness.

I myself resighned from what was the more moderate "amicus" union sometime ago as they were the voice of moderation and reason and could negotiate with clarity and forsight with british Airways....however now, I do not recognse them having merged constutionally with Bassa.Although they are still two separate branches they have now formed a collective with them on the issue of crewing level changes etc
. Indeed many crew like myself did not simply read the controversial union newsletters,but researched the issues in detail...in my case, attending most of the union meetings last year...and then having the ability to attend some of the hearings at the high court..on both occassions.etc

The proposals were reasonable indeed generous given the current econmic climate and financial status of the airline.Thus the response form unite that they would have recommended it to the crew...was a realistic response.
What was not realistic was reject the proposals and to then continue with industrial action due to the non reinstatement of staff travel with seniority levels kept as they were..and the suspensions scenario.

Of the crew who are suspended some are indeed innocent victims who are at home petrified at the outcome of their internal hearings.As has been the case in a few instances they will be reinstated.I mention this as I know of two such crew in this position.True justice is not a gurantee though in this airline...thus industrial tribunals may be the way forward if innocent individuals do get dismissed.

As for the staff travel...how could a situation arise where a striking crew member who cost the company finacially, get on a flight( standby status) ahead of a crew member who continued to work and helped to keep the airline running??
I have worked as crew for over 20 years and have enjoyed it immensly.
This current state of affairs saddens me deeply.
I never know what to expect on flights as interpersonal relations on board as well as downroute are fragile....
Sometines crew interact harmoniously together inclusive of our flight deck collegues and other times group segregation occurs.
As purser I am continually surpporting crew who are in tears over this situation who are on both sides of the fence.

Finally in my opinion I feel that these strikes are a genuine attempt at commercial suicide...one of the latest media notes illustrates this:
Weds(12th May 2010) telegraph page 17 " ...The union is now drawing up plans for another strike ballot which could lead to a second wave of stoppages throughout the summer"! Unbelievable.

I
I am downroute and sleepy so sorry this postiing is so long.including grammatical errors..I have simply been sharing my reflections with any of you who care to read.this. .
Ps Tiramisu et al you have inspired and encouraged me and many others with your postings ....thank you

Mods sorry..I promise no more posts of this length from me shall be forthcoming!

Last edited by skylight; 13th May 2010 at 04:34.