Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runways by Major European Air Traffic Hubs:

* Heathrow: 2
* Amsterdam: 6
* Charles de Gaulle: 4
* Frankfurt: 3 (plus one in building)
* Rome: 3
How about - number of independent runways. It is all very well listing pieces of tarmac, but JFK cannot use its 4 runways all the time together (building work at present ignored), and neither can all those you have listed.

How about figures on utilisation of those runways, and cost to private and public sectors. It is not all about the number, and I can assure you that each side can prove it any way that it wants.

Sure, infrastructure reaps long-term benefits, but it certainly suits every airline that presently operates there to have just the present 2, and it also suits every present employee to perpetuate the crowded, monopoly-characteristic of the airport.

More scandelous is the complete lack of integrated transport-thinking in every sphere in the UK.

PS - I am actually pro-expansion, but I would support more an airport away from metropolitan areas, linked to HS1, linked to ports, linked to motorways, and with ring-fenced areas outside to prevent residential development, objections and noise complaints. Tough one though, as the Thames Estuary is one of the largest bird migration sites in the world...thinking caps on...