PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peter Collins and the Eurofighter Typhoon?
Old 12th May 2010, 15:47
Obi Offiah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obi, I've done some research and my impeccable journalistic sources report that Pete Collins can, at present, only compare the Rafale FBW Digital FCS, that he evaluated airborne during his FLIGHT assessment at Istres in 2009, with the Typhoon FBW Digital FCS, reproduced in the RAF Typhoon Simulator, that he evaluated at RAF Coningsby in 2008.

However, on the basis of what he saw and what he evaluated, Pete Collins's personal opinion would still be to strongly rate the Rafale Digital FCS as giving the better pilot 'fighter type' handling characteristics of the pair, irrespective of the fact that he believes that the Eurofighter advanced control laws are still highly adequate as a similar, very advanced and very agile fighter. According to PC, the Rafale remains the best handling aircraft (by a long way) of the 34 fighter/fighter trainer types he has flown to date.

I know that aircraft handling chararcteristics can be a very personal pilot 'subject' but perhaps a clue as to how good the Rafale is to manoeuvre is that the French Air Force Rafale won the individual 'Best Display' this year at RIAT?"
Thanks cessnapete.

I had completely forgotten about this thread.

My only critique of the Rafale article, was is that there is very little information given about the rafale FCS and what made it such a cut above the rest. I've read and enjoyed Peter's articles on the T-50 and M-346 trainers, as he gave quite some insight into the FCS of the respective aircrafts, such as the types of control laws used and their effect on the aircraft.
It would have been better if he done the same for the Rafale and perhaps compared the differences between the FCSs of the aircraft I mentioned. Peter could also have gone further and talked about what he liked and disliked between those systems.