PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2010, 13:27
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahh cool. I see by your second post you received my crayoned drawing. You're still a ways off the point, but getting closer. Hey if you say you're a master-(de)bater, then it must be true! Please don't pull out any cards, or do some sort of Raymond thing, whatever that means.

There is no "ethnocentrism" vis a vis (as you say) a certain ethnic group. But political systems? Hell yes. If you truly believe that the "system" as it is in the UAE is superior to that of Canada or other peaceful democracies, then there isn't anything to debate - we'll simply have to agree to disagree on that point. But then, I'd have to hope that you have at least lived under a range of systems so that you'd be able to make a judgement from experience, not theory. I'd hate to think you were arguing solely from petty selfishness wanting a couple more flights to DXB a week.

And trying to de-link the connection between the two systems is a hijacking of the entire debate - it IS the debate! It is the very foundation of what makes Emirates Airline "competitive": no labour protections, no creditable legal system, and an extremely lax, unaccountable regulatory regime. That's just the short list. Tell me how that "contradicts" what I have already stated: that this issue is about far more than Air Canada and the simple whining of people like yourself about "adding some frequency".

I did enjoy your cheap attempt to utilize some variant of the "race" card. The implying of racism is very convenient I know (Emiratis? Ivory towers? WTF?) but it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. If you were really concerned about racism, and actually had experienced life in the UAE, you'd realize that it was the most racist place on the planet. Watching you try to charge ethnocentrism at someone living in Dubai makes me a bit nostalgic for Canada - it's almost quaint. Perhaps I shall report you to some Human Rights Tribunal.

Please, continue to explain to me how it is here in the UAE. It's actually closer to 90% expats, of which I am one. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to my multinational colleagues, they're always up for a laugh. One thing they're not though, is clamouring for more service to Canada. Sorry.

I do not care about Emiratis or any specific ethnic or cultural group. But I do enjoy speaking against an organization whose methodology I have observed firsthand, attempt, through various - at times underhanded, blatantly, obscenely abusive tactics - try to dominate an industry for their own motive which seems to consist entirely of greed.

You are of course free to disagree. Ironically if you did so in the UAE you would risk negative consequences for doing so.

No to Emirates in Canada.