PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANO distance from people/objects?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2010, 12:43
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
C'mon fellow pilots, it's thinking and weasleing like this which gives the regulators the traction to make more regulation. If you're scudd running at all at 400 feet, you're asking for all sorts of trouble, some a lot more sudden than inforcement action. Have I done it? Yep! Was it a good idea? Nope - particularly with cell phone towers popping up like Dandiloins. While remaining below a 400' ceiling, you're already way too far into the poor weather to press on - what are you doing?

It's not to say that there are not occasional good reasons, beyond just landing and takeoff for being below 500', but generally they involve extra planning and disclipline (and are not being done because of the ceiling!). The pilots who do that kind of flying are sitting by the sidelines here cringing at the thought of yet again having to defend why they need to fly low, while more regulation is being contemplated because of casual low fliers.

While doing an off airport PFL, do you need to go below 500' to prove your technique? If so, ask the landowner's premission! I allow the local school to PFL onto my runway as they wish. Landing is a different thing! As long as you're not scaring the livestock, some farmers should be okay with it...

We are responsible for being good neighbours to all, whether they like planes or not. Trying to find excuses to "get away" with public nuisence low flying is just not the "professional" way of doing things. Let's embrace the spirit of the low flying regulations as they are worded - my opinion is that they are reasonably worded, and respect the needs of all. PFL's to the ground, are what airports/aerodromes are for......