PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2010, 09:55
rotorblades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For fear of sounding like Im sitting on the fence,
I believe there is plenty of space in this world for both RPT & GA.

I can see where the RPT are coming from, they are running fare paying passengers and as such are responsible for getting them there safely & timely.

GA also provide a valuable asset to the aviation industry. You need GA to do flight training, for example.

All it needs is better understanding from both sides and better co-operation. If your on a training flight it doesnt hurt to hold off for 20secs while an RPT comes by, RPTs you dont rule the sky (ATC do) if you want a sequencing service fly into controlled aerodromes only.

On this carriage of radio in E. If you are flying and listening watch and your hear traffic being passed on you to an IFR, it would be nice to announce yourselves. We (ATC) can then verify mode C if need to and better assess confliction. You may see the IFR but the IFR may not have seen you.
I had an interesting one today with an airbus descending through E to WLM and an unknown VFR climbing towards him (6000descending vs 4600climbing), I dont know whether either got visual in the end but they missed, thankfully as I was on line-check!

Having said that hats off to the westpac helicopter who announced himself on the area frequency (whilst in G) when i gave traffic on him (unknown VFR)to an IFR OCTA.

There are now a lot of high-performance GA aircraft out there. ranging from the Lancairs (cessnas now) & Cirrus' (whats the plural of Cirrus is it Cirruses or Cirii?) to L-39s & JetProvosts mixing it with RPTs, be wary of whats around, especially as ATC cant always see whats low(er) level you maybe flying into conflict with.