PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paddy Ashdown new Sec Def?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2010, 23:21
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
S41

Interesting as both me, the old PM and the new PM were very recently of a different opinion:

GB: "But I don't favour Nick's [Clegg] proposal which would be unilaterally abandon our nuclear deterrent when we know that Iran and North Korea and other countries are trying to get theirs."

DC: "And are we really happy to say that we would give up our independent nuclear deterrent, when we don't know what's going to happen with Iran? We can't be certain of the future in China, we don't know exactly what our world will look like. I say we should always have the ultimate protection of our independent nuclear deterrent."

In a bit of a back-track the new Deputy PM started to talk about the "like for like" business in the same debate. However, I remain somewhat suspicious. Also, I would absolutely expect the Strategic Nuclear Deterent to be mentioned/considered in the Strategic Defence Review!!! I just hope that this intent is indeed true and not a thinly disguised move to swipe the deterent (and I for one believe it is one, having lived through a quarter century of the Cold War).

LJ