PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2010, 11:58
engfireleft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Eng - you're not talking about the same agreement you benefited from all these years from are you?
Do you mean the contract in constant retrenchment featuring throwing 320 pilots under the bus and the creation of second class Air Canada pilots with the Pay Group? Do you mean that one? Then yes, I guess that's what I'm talking about.

Contracts change all the time and NO ONE at Air Canada can take the high road with this "you knew what you were signing on for" rubbish, which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue anyway. You do know that Canadian Law supercedes our contract don't you? You do know that this is not an Air Canada issue don't you?

Mandatory retirement based on age alone is discriminatory in this country. Wrap your minds around that. It isn't discriminatory for some people, it's discriminatory for ALL people. That means it stops...full stop. Our anachronistic 60's mindset has been living on borrowed time at Air Canada and this is way overdue.

what is important to me is that when I choose to retire at 60 (feel free to retire at 70 or even 80 if you like!) any annuity I would be entitled to will not degraded as a result of the fallout from the tribunal/appeals court decisions.
The flypast60 group is in complete agreement with you, and Ray and others have been trying for the entire time to get the union to manage this change to ensure minimal negative effect rather than put all their effort into fighting it. Now of course the union has lost, and done nothing to minimize the fallout.

The union did this of course with the blessing of a large segment of the membership who refused to consider any other option. Ask the union (and yourself) why nobody was preparing for this day?

Last edited by engfireleft; 11th May 2010 at 12:26.