PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA crew fed up with JFK ATC - declares emergency.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:31
Pera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my 2 cents as a New York based pilot:
Nice job.

3. To me that sounds like a sort of "min fuel" call.
Ah... the post modern emergency call. This pilot did a lot of talking but not much communicating.

4. After receiving the emergency call, rather than ask what they intended, the controller's reaction was to issue an instruction
He issued the only thing he could without coordinating with the APR controller. It was after all just a go around due crosswind.

this would have transmitted to the crew that "this guy just doesn't get it".
Of course he didn't get it. They didn't communicate.

If they have an emergency that absolutely allowed them to tell the controller what they were doing and it was the controllers job to get traffic out of their way.
Which is exactly what he did once he realised what the aircraft was doing... (whatever they wanted regardless of the consequences)

I have had to go-around in New York and immediately declare min fuel
You got a prompt response because you communicated with the controller.

I'd think the controller will have many more questions to answer.
I really don't know how you would come to that conclusion. Are they training controllers in mind reading now!

Despite my responses I enjoyed reading a post from your perspective but this controller should get a medal not a tea and biscuits meeting.

If correct communication had happened the aircraft would have got what they needed and we wouldn't be having this discussion.