PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2010, 10:22
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mm43
takata;
There was a post a page or two back where it was implied that the BEA got it wrong about loss of SATCOM. However, take a look at this graphic where the LOS is right when the a/c probably passed through the center of the mesoscale event NNW of ORARO.
I was not talking about the possible partial loss of SATCOM during ACAR transmission (neither infrequentflyer789 if I understood what he meant) but about the fact that she was not sending anything more after 02.14 while she could have still been in the air.
I don't buy the upset-recovery-upset-crash theory.
Documented upsets at cruise altitude are ending in a fairly short time pretty close to their initial position. Most of the displacement is on the vertical plan or at very high speed down to the surface. None would imply a possibility of impact like in AF447 case.
Overspeed could be deduced from vertical stabilizer state, it would have certainly left some evidences on the leading edge.
No evidence of structural failures are given by ACARs transmission.
I don't know where AF447 was when ACARs stopped, but I'm suspecting why they stopped and it is then possible to understand why she could have ended 40+ NM (still not confirmed) farther and back on its track.

Beside, this is what Seabed Worker is searching at nearly 4,000 m deep, in mountainous terrain, and it should not be spread over 8 NM of seabed: