PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA crew fed up with JFK ATC - declares emergency.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:11
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the other point of view.....

ATC welcomes visits from Pilots, in my experience. Although they may be safe in their bunkers, I think controllers have a more uncomfortable seat than the pilot! (quoting PUSHING TIN, you do everything right for twenty years, one little mid-air and they never let you forget it.....!)

Pilots should as part of the basic training in airmanship, VISIT controllers, both enroute and tower, if only to appreciate that they are human beings too, not the voice of a deity above you.....

As I mentioned in my post over on the other thread, when the controller asked me to descend approaching Tallahassee, I declined, as if I was going to run out of fuel I preferred maximum possible height for the final glide.....! Having met and talked to real live controllers face to face, one feels a lot happier about their help in time of need.

New York controllers are famous for their sang froid, skill and expedition.
Dealing with that particular airspace, they've got to be good! Nevertheless it does seem that they should be able to change runways on their own, without consulting management......