PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preliminary report on Cathay Pacific aircraft accident released
Old 10th May 2010, 01:36
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scoreboard
in the AIR its basically implies your eng is ****.
No it doesn't. It depends on the failure.

I wouldn’t divert purely on what the DDG says. Sure it should be referred to but your decision should be based on all the information available, including ECAM, FCOM 3, Engineering, Pilot observations etc. There are plenty of failures that are “No Dispatch” in the DDG but in FCOM 3 are “Crew Awareness” only. Have a look at some of the FADEC failures as an example. It’s all very well to sit here and criticise the captain on 780 but you weren’t there. Lastly, and I realise that the crew concerned couldn’t have known this at the time, but imagine if they did return to SUB and had the same failures on descent. They would’ve had to land about 15T over MLW on a runway that is only 9900 ft long with the obvious result that an overrun of the runway would have occurred at fairly high speed and probable loss of life. I can see the very same people that are criticising them here would be asking questions about why they diverted when it wasn’t necessary.

HKAforever
What I really want to know is WHY is one engine stuck at 70%.
And so would I. There is speculative talk that the Trent 700 powered A330’s will default to 70% and idle if there is a dual engine stall but this is speculation as there is no written evidence to back it up.

Molokai

You seem to have a lot to say about many airlines don’t you? If you knew anything about accident/incident investigation, serious question are asked of everyone involved. Just because these questions are asked doesn’t imply guilt. It implies a thorough investigation.

Last edited by 404 Titan; 10th May 2010 at 01:47.