PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controlled airspace handover
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2010, 21:18
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the pilot have a full IR? Just seems strange to me that they didn't understand the fact that you still need to be cleared into each airspace even if on a flight plan. I also trained on the FAA system before converting and to be honest doesn't make much difference.
I have been in the US on a IFR flight plan and been told to remain clear of controlled airspace (on handover and close to a big airport which was my destination).
I have been in a jet when on handover from French ATC, London ATC had problems and told us to remain clear of controlled airspace (we, along with a few others, had to take up an en-route hold....that was a busy few minutes I can tell you!!).

I wouldn't be surprised if I was in a light aircraft, flying IFR and on contact with the next frequency they told me to remain clear of their airspace - in the examples above it was just a case of taking up the hold until further clearance received.

It was all covered in my FAA and CAA IR ratings which is why I am confused that an IR pilot didn't know about it?

Or I might have got completely the wrong end of the stick here...