PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2010, 20:02
Tin67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am waiting with great anticipation for the next announcements from Unite over IA. I am booked J-Class at the end of the month to YVR and am desperately concerned that what is planned to be special trip is going to be ruined.

This will be the third occasion that my plans are threatened by BA CC. A few years ago when I was entitled to get ID80s through my father, threatened action by CC 2 days before my flight lead to all staff travel being cancelled. It cost me a fortune to get an last minute alternative. Then it was Xmas 09 that was under threat, but that as we all know was avoided much to my families relief. For some reason I remained loyal and booked my YVR flight in Jan, although I had a feeling I'd regret the move.

I can empathise with CC to some extent where changes in working practices are enforced, but for the most part BA CC had nothing to moan about, no pay cut, no changes in terms and conditions or pensions. It seems to me that this has been blown completely out of all proportion to the extent that Unite/BASSA simply cannot admit this is wrong and back down. It's beyond the point of no return and this stand off is going to end in tears. BA will carry on with or without what appears to be the minority striking members.

I work from a large US corporate and my benefits have been cut heavily and I'll lose over 15% of my package next year. And that's from a company making $ millions, not a loss company like BA. If anything I have more to complain about that BA CC. I am paying the penalty of the board striving to cut cost whilst keeping the shareholders happy and taking huge bonuses themselves. Am I annoyed? Hell yeah, but industrial action is wrong and right now I'd rather be employed.

I really have had enough of this and will certainly think long and hard before booking with BA again.