PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controlled airspace handover
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2010, 18:54
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you file a route oustide CAS then that is not "being dumped". You are dumping yourself.
I think you may have conveniently missed IO point which I think was that if British airspace was joined up with French airspace an airways clearance in France would translate to an airways clearance in the UK with the FIR boundary being an irrelevance. As it is unless you understand what is needed to continue the flight in CAS you will get dumped.

That is simply not true. What international practice is there for handling IFR flights outside controlled airspace in this way?
Again I think you may have conveniently missed the point. The way the UK mixes CAS with open FIR and co-ordinates hand overs is out line with the rest of Europe, the States and Australia, the countries in which I have flown. I dont see how it can be argued otherewise?

Has it occured to you that the main category of user here (which I believe you are in) pays nothing for the IFR services they do get, as a result of the 2t eurocontrol exemption? It is about the only free lunch in aviaiton in Europe.

That seems to me a totally different argument. Should we suffer a poor service in the UK because we should be lucky to be given any service? Isnt it us who are out of step with the rest of Europe and the world? We opted to privatise air traffic and we also opted to allow CAT to pull all (or at any rate) most of the strings. We conveniently ignore that GA gets little or nothing for the considerable amount of duty we pay or fuel whereas CAT pays no duty. Unlike cars where at least in theory the duty contributes to the provision of roads and other services GA gets nothing.

No, as has been said many many times before go to the States, see how it should be done surprisingly in the home of capitalism, or come to the UK and see how we have constructed a two tier service of which we should be ashamed.

I have to agree with IO - it may come across as a rant, but that would be to bury our heads in the sand and accept we are second rate.