PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CCW Laws......To those that don't know...Legally Packing Heat!
Old 9th May 2010, 18:15
larssnowpharter

Quote:
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster in 'An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution', 1787, a pamphlet aimed at swaying Pennsylvania toward ratification, in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States, at 56(New York, 1888))
I have no problems with the principle behind the argument expounded.

I do however have HUGE problems with the way it works in practice.

Back in 1888, as a private citizen I could own much the same weapon a a soldier of the government. Indeed, oftimes a better one.

Taxation has allowed the government to employ clever people to invent and manufacture even more capable weapons.

In theory, the constitution should allow me a Sqn of F22s and a silo of missiles. However, the government has allowed a divide to emerge and such weaponry - allowed I believe by the amendment referred to - is now illegal. The government has much bigger toys to play with and my power to withstand it and its depredations has now withered to nothing as I am left with weapons barely more capable than those available to my ancestors to 1888.