PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft down in Oxfordshire (Merged)
Old 9th May 2010, 16:35
DespairingTraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not useful unless readers are able to distinguish between the accurate and inaccurate information posted about 'the law.'

FL
Entirely agreed, and I wish people would post relevant references rather than simply making bald statements or appealing to authority.

However, it is disturbing that there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding on here of what defines "aerial work". Several posts have suggested that whether or not a flight is aerial work is determined by the nature of the task undertaken. (Specifically, statements like "Banner towing is aerial work".)

As I'm sure FL and others know, aerial work is not defined in that way:

ANO S259(1): ...aerial work means any purpose, other than commercial air transport or public transport, for which an aircraft is flown if valuable consideration is given or promised for the flight or the purpose of the flight. (my italics, and there are various specific exceptions covering cost sharing, flying displays & prizes, etc.)

That means that if a friend says he'll give me a tenner to fly over his house the next time I go up on a sunny Sunday afternoon, because his kid loves aircraft spotting, I would be conducting aerial work...

But, try as I might, I cannot find any specific prohibition on carrying passengers while conducting aerial work. However, if valuable consideration is given or promised for their carriage, then the flight becomes public transport. (Parachute lifts being an exception - they are specifically defined as aerial work not public transport, subject to various conditions being met.)