PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2010, 09:08
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossunder
It should not be entirely up to the pilots, but since no politician in Europe has the leadership skills and balls required for the job, it is left up to us. Instead of sending up drones, balloons or using other test/sample equipment or boroscope examination results already available from all carriers in Europe, the politicians, as usual, chicken out.<snip>I have never heard of similar situations in other parts of the world, even though volcanoes erupt everywhere, all the time!
You need to read the volcanic ash cloud thread, there are some factual posts in there which may assist your understanding.
Personally I'm very glad that governments are making the decision to close airspace and it's not left up to pilots/commercial pressures on airlines. I believe that governments have a responsibility to their citizens to make decisions for their safety. A plane falling on my head, my wife's, my family or friends is not something I wish to happen. Engine manufacturers have (finally) decided on a 'safe' level of ash ingestion and governments are applying regulations based on the 'unsafe' ash forecast areas.

BD