PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2010, 07:50
Heli488

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sign of the times.

Whilst I have just re-registered with PPRuNe (old email no longer exists), I have followed with interest both this thread and its predecessor for many years and have been intimately familiar with the operators in Nigeria since about 1990 and obviously their respective histories.

212man says that the recent Shell decision to go to Caverton/Dancopter is sad news. Is it not a sign of the times? The industry globalised their contracts in the 90's, forcing the operators to keep up or go out of business. This they did and eventually we were left with the two major players, BHL and CHC. Great for them but not so good for the clients because the organisations became very large and difficult to manage. In addition a certain amount of arrogance grew within those two major players. This and the fact that "remote management" does not help where "the rubber meets the road" has not been well received by the industry and we now see that they are turning back the clock.

Proof - The Shell Caverton/Dancopter news - Bond's progressive return into the North Sea, NHV's gradual expansion in Europe and Africa - DanCopters excursion into Den Helder - CHC's ever dwindling position in African operations generally and now we see the same starting to happen to BHL.

There are other emerging operators on the African continent that should not be under estimated. I know of one that has a more functional Q & S system than most of the European operators I am familiar with, "they do what they publish". What is my point? I see it as no surprise that Caverton/Dancopter have been awarded the Shell contract and I will not be surprised to see other smaller more manageable operators being awarded bigger contracts in the future. After all, as well getting a more "personal" service, the oil industry clients will start to get more competition back into their tendering processes. May not be great for the large helicopter operators but the oil industry pays at the end of the day and it's what they want that sets the baseline. Their initial attempt at globalisation has not really worked as they had planned so they are turning back the clock.

I am absolutely sure that Shell's decision has not been taken lightly as all of you will no doubt agree. What we have to read into this is "what is the message that is being sent out to the Helicopter operators in general?"