PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 9th May 2010, 02:51
Nine_Inch__Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabbe and adam

Wew, seems like you might need to start a new 'how to'' thread if you want to ask those sort of specific questions. I'm sure the logbook you get wouldnt matter an awful lot. It's the content that counts. Make sure it is nice and neat though. and use the same pen for all entries.

My 2c, in an area i feel myself quite experienced.

Finishing up a degree in Aviation in Brisbane. This gave me access to a government loan, and also an airline cadetship, which has been keeping me busy.

I believe getting a degree is worthwhile, and also enjoyable (uni life can be quite, hm, flexible), whilst providing the opportunity to meet new people in a good environment. I have learned a lot, and gained much from my experience.

In retrospect, I would have probably rather done a degree in another area to fall back on (it's only a few years, and you are still young). You have your entire life ahead of you.

Ofcourse, if you are a die-hard-wannabe-pilot, then start training now and harness that zeal.

It is a large investment, and should be well thought-out (something i can say i didnt do too much of during the beginning of my tertiary education).

As for fabbe - having good grades is a good beginning. I know, after getting a gilmpse at the many possibilities of study on offer out there, that i could have done a couple of other degrees that would have been very interesting and challenging. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained out there, and a lot of interesting areas in our world. Just have a browse, and see what you might like. Hell, if you try something and dont like it, you can just change degrees. I've had many friends change degrees many times, and have found something which they like. But, if aviation is really the only apple of your eye, then get into it!! Be careful though... as has been said previously, it is a very fickle industry.

Im in the thick of it now though, and owe a lot of money, so i will see this through to the end. not to mention i thoroughly enjoy it, despite the many pressures.