PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SZD Foka 5 Glider
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2010, 22:07
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only offer hearsay, but all that says it's a nice glider to fly and performs at the top of the wooden glider spectrum.

It's a Polish glider, so you should expect it to spin if provoked, and to recover immediately with the correct actions - this is something to be briefed on by an experienced pilot and your CFI. Not scarily spin-prone like some (the IS-29 has a rather alarming reputation) but very positive, unlike (say) the glass K-23.

I believe it has a three-piece wing like the more common Pirat. This makes it a three-person rig unless you have cumbersome rigging aids, but assuming it rigs like a Pirat it's no big deal if the manpower is available.

The main thing to be aware of is that wood gliders are very, very difficult to resell at the moment, and likely to remain so. If you buy it, plan on never selling it (it should be cheap enough so you could write the cost off over a few years). The reason is that early glass gliders like, say, the ASW15, are available for under £6k, and these will (probably) be a bit cheaper to maintain, are certainly higher performance, and a bit easier to rig.

I would have thought that for very little more money you could buy a K6e, which seems by consensus to be the nicest wood glider ever made. Those do re-sell, though slowly.

Conclusion: decent glider with good performance for wood, you will need to keep your friends for rigging and retrieves, and it would be a reasonable buy if you plan to wear it out rather than move on to a different glider. Subject, of course, to the previous poster's caveat about fitting in to it!

Bear in mind this is all hearsay from those who've flown one, not personal experience.

[Edited to add: Piper Classique's remarks made me check, and I was thinking of the Cobra. The Foka is ultra-reclined and very narrow, with a canopy that slides forward past your toes.

They are quite uncommon, and thus perhaps even harder to sell than most wood. I have a vague memory of hearing that they have very snappy handling, with the consequent need for good piloting skills and reflexes, but that contradict's PC's lead sled comment.

Ask on gliderpilot.net and on rec.aviation.soaring and you should find someone who has flown one. As it's a bit of a rarity, I'd want to fly it before making a decision on whether to buy.]

Last edited by ProfChrisReed; 8th May 2010 at 22:18.