PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Your 9-5 Job Whilst Training?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2001, 23:39
What Pylon?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks for the replies everyone, I think part-time is the way to go, I don’t necessarily think it will cost that much more either – well not according to Clive Hughes’s book if you look at the break down of hours/cost etc., especially if some of the hour building/multi etc., is completed in the US.

I have a pretty flexible job (working flexi-time and able to take up to 3, maybe even 4 weeks off if I grovel enough ! ), so getting time off for the flying training shouldn’t be a problem. The only thing I might struggle with, will be the distance learning for the ATPLs (probably go with PPSC), I seem to get bored very quickly with the theory side of things, not just in aviation subjects, but in just about anything I study especially when studying on my own – can’t seem to see the point, but it has to be learnt…

To be honest, I’m not that bothered about flying jets, they seem well complicated and I think I would prefer the more “seat of your pants” type flying (if that’s at all possible in any aircraft these days?). The idea of sitting there just monitoring avionic equipment for 7 hours or more at a stretch doesn’t really appeal to me. I think the money would however :-) Mind you, having said that, the job I’m in at the moment doesn’t pay that well, so even a right hand seat in a Turbo Prop would do me! I might even try to get my FI rating and work part-time weekends to get some extra cash/hours…

Again, thanks for the response – it seems there are quite a few more people in the same boat (plane?) as myself. I’ll let you all know how I get on along the way… Now, where did I put that percolator…?

Cheers.

Rich.