PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2010, 12:53
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would anyone prefer direct law for landing?
Hi wingswinger,

I bet you use ground mode for take off.

It was meant to explain the difference between a conventional aircraft's feel with a quick burst of power when below 50 feet versus FBW feel.

e.g. Consider a normal 3 deg approach. If the nose was briefly allowed to drop by up to one and a half degrees (so ROD increase from 700 fpm to 1050 fpm) just as you passed 50 feet:

1) Conventional aircraft will feel correct after a quick burst of power and attitude re-established to original 3 deg trajectory.
2) A320 now uses -4.5 degs as reference attitude (despite anything done with thrust) and when below 30 feet also gradually feeds in an additional feel of 2 degs nose down. No wonder it can feel "sluggish" and "heavy" and can be very confusing.

I've spent 5 years on A320 type in intensive European Operations after over 25 years on Boeings / Lockheed. I still prefer the "feel" of a conventional aircraft, & I especially miss moving thrust levers with autothrust, & the control wheel feed back from the other pilot's input when close to the ground.

FBW is very clever in some areas - but it's far from perfect.

Last edited by rudderrudderrat; 8th May 2010 at 14:19. Reason: addition of ground mode.