PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 how to save this landing
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2010, 11:57
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Twopence: Don't forget that the F/CTL system in normal law trims the aircraft 2 degrees nose down when it's in flare mode (below 50ft RA) and if back pressure is not applied to the side stick to maintain the descent path a hard landing will result.

Unfortunately when Bernard Ziegler designed the A320, he didn't put the aircraft into Direct Law during landing, so we are stuck with the feel it has with a reference pitch attitude remembered at 50 feet.
I'm amazed at that comment. Why would anyone prefer direct law for landing? Astonishing. Direct law exists because there is no flare mode in alternate law so when in alternate law due to failures direct law is entered when the gear goes down (or you have a double failure). The aircraft (if simulator fidelity is to be taken as a given) is decidedly more difficult to land in DL.

I think the root problem is the modern over-reliance on technology and automation. The A320 can be flown just like any other aircraft. Airbus itself says so. the only difference is in the F/CTL system which takes out the trim changes for the pilot in response to slat/flap, speedbrake, gear and power changes. In training young pilots to land the 320 I have lost count of the number I have to persuade to stop concentrating their scan on the PFD once they have gone visual. The focus should then be on the touchdown point with glances inside to monitor and correct speed. Keep the touch down point 1/3rd of the way up the windscreen. If it moves up you're going low; if it moves down you're going high. Correct the flight path with power adjustments as required. Simple really.