PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 8th May 2010, 10:17
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW would have done it by now then if he could have legally got away with it.
Sadly this is just pure conjecture based upon no basis in the law. As I have mentioned several times on this thread BASSAs own barrister admitted, in court, that if BA wished to alter the contractual terms of the CC - or any other group, then all they would need to do is issue a 90 day notice of change. This would not be dismissal or SOSR just a change of terms and conditions. What this means is that BA could, if they so desired, issue changes to pay structures, the rank structure, rostering etc etc etc.

That it has not been done is probably more to do with the wider IR arena, I suspect all groups of staff would find that action was too much to bear - at least until up to now.

There are also the options of SOSR for all or CR for some. There is still a form lodged with the government, for up to 2000 redundancies, even if you take the 1200 or so who took VR in November there are still 800 or so CR vacancies waiting to be filled.

I suspect that BA have a few more options up their sleeves that fall well short of some of these "nuclear" ones. Sadly, for the CC the only way that they will find out what the company is prepared to do and can legally do to them is by striking and bearing the consequences.

Much as BASSA are considering their options so are BA. It would be naive to think that BASSA have all the cards here, similarly it would not be wise to think BA have all the cards. Actions will have reactions, as we have seen the longer this has gone on, each step by either side has provoked a reaction. Sadly though, I think for BASSA it has used all of its big guns and BA have yet to open the gun safe.