PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Your 9-5 Job Whilst Training?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2001, 17:40
What Pylon?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Keeping Your 9-5 Job Whilst Training?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had trained for their CPL/IR or ATPL part-time. By this I mean whilst holding down a full-time job… I ask this, because paying out £30,000 - £50,000 all at once seems to be a BIG risk and I’d still like my job there if things go a bit pear shaped – after all, who knows what tomorrow brings eh ?

At the age of 30, I’m not that interested in flying jets as such, but wouldn’t mind either freight (yep you read me right – no passengers to complain about the 70-80 degree bank angles !), or regional turbo prop type of jobs, maybe even instructing. The thing I’d like to know is, are there any schools who will teach you CPL/IR etc part time without having to give up work? Maybe teach every weekend and has anybody gone down this route?

I have experience of flying (solo at 20 years old), but had to stop because of the expense – you still need quite a bit of money to keep your PPL active - so I do know that I’d enjoy it – well at least more so than my present job – I also realise that it would be a job like any other and there will inevitably be boring/tedious times etc… Getting the PPL, Night, IMC ratings are pretty straight forward, as would be taking up to 3 weeks off work to build hours in the US, but it’s the rest that confuses me, as I stated earlier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich.