PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2010, 17:25
Whiskey Papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve read Peter and Maria’s book, and I was intrigued by Peter’s analysis of the effect of the ILS antenna and runway approach lighting array could have had on the aircrafts’ structure. Peter is convinced that the extra few metres gained by the flap retraction resulted in G-YMMM missing these obstructions which could have inflicted serious damage to the aircraft. All very logical.

Two days later I drove on the M1 immediately adjacent to the extended centre line of runway 27 at East Midlands Airport, exactly where the British Midland 734 came to grief in January 1989. Imagine my astonishment when I saw that a massive full motorway width sign gantry has been erected exactly on the crash site! The gantry is just a few feet in front of the penultimate array of approach lighting, precisely on the runway centre line and if it had been present when the BM 737 arrived, the result that day could only have been worse. It’s just 600 metres from the runway threshold, and an aircraft has already needed to occupy the space where it stands waiting like a giant can opener! Google Earth shows this well. Did no one think to keep this area clear of obstructions? Where’s ‘elf and safety when you need them?

WP